St Martin’s Church

The medieval church dates from 13th Century and has been enlarged and restored over the centuries, most notably by Sir Robert Walpole, who rebuilt the tower as a memorial to his grandfather Sir Jeffery Burwell in about 1730.

There is an effigy of a prior of Coxford, who died in 1307, near the nave that was brought to Houghton in 1522 before the dissolution of the monasteries. On the walls hang some well-preserved hatchments, the last of which was put up in 1969 in memory of the 5th Marquess of Cholmondeley, who was interested in heraldic painting and calligraphy.

Sir Robert, his two wives, his brother Galfridus and his successors, the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Earls of Orford are all buried here along with the 5th Marquess of Cholmondeley and his wife, Sybil.

The church is located in the Deer Park which is included in the full general admission entry ticket.