The Stables Cafe, Gift Shop and Soldier Museum

The stables, which are faced in the local Carr stone from Snettisham, are in fact the second set built by Sir Robert Walpole at Houghton and were erected between 1733 and 1735. The first set had blocked the southerly views from the Hall and were therefore demolished.

The interior of this imposing building was as carefully considered as the house, with superbly constructed brick vault ceilings supported on timber pillars. The Stables were planned to house eighty horses of different qualities, the most valuable having their own stalls, whilst the coach horses would share.

The west stable block now houses the Model Soldier Museum, the Gift shop and the Stables Café. Please see our menu here.

You will find Contemporary and Country’s exhibition of work by artists and makers from across East Anglia in the north-east portion of the stable yard called East to East

Plenty of lovely things to choose from in the Gift Shop. Do pop in.