The stables, which are faced in the local Carr stone from Snettisham, are in fact the second set built by Sir Robert Walpole at Houghton and were erected between 1733 and 1735. The first set had blocked the southerly views from the Hall and were therefore demolished.
The interior of this imposing building was as carefully considered as the house, with superbly constructed brick vault ceilings supported on timber pillars. The Stables were planned to house eighty horses of different qualities, the most valuable having their own stalls, whilst the coach horses would share.
The west range now houses the Model Soldier Museum, the Gift shop and the Stables Café.
An original row of wooden stalls can be viewed in the east range of the Stable block alongside a traditional tack room.
In 2017 we are delighted to hold a special Pop Up exhibition from Norfolk By Design – showing a marvellous cornucopia of works by artists, designers, ceramicists, textile designers, photographers, furniture makers and craftspeople all based in Norfolk. All works are for sale – prepare to be tempted! Find out more at Norfolk by Design Pop Up Exhibition.